Is White a Color?
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Book Design. and other Self Publishing topics.
Does white count as a color on my book layout design?
How many colors are there on my book layout design? The white of the paper never counts as a color in book layout design. White is the background and each individual color after that actually counts. For example:
- A one-color cover is one ink-color on white paper
- A two-color book design cover is two colors on white
- A three-color book cover is three colors on white The more colors you use, the more expensive your book layout design will be.
Here are a few hints to help you cut costs:
- Ask a designer to use screens to get other tints or colors without having to pay for them ( a 50% screen used with black will yield a gray in the area screened, and a 50% screen of red will yield a pink, etc.)
- The combination of two screens gives you the effect of a third color. (blue plus yellow equals green, yellow plus red equals brown, etc.)
*In today's digital world, there is no reason to design anything but a four color process cover (a one or 2 color cover is going to actually be printed four color if you run quantities under 500).