On-Demand Book Contracts
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Self Publishing Companies and other Self Publishing topics.
What should I look out for in a contract with an on demand publishing company?
If you are signing a contract with an on-demand publishing company, make sure the contract is for a limited term, so that you don't sign away all the rights to your book forever. Look out for (and avoid) contracts which:
- Ask for all rights for the full copyright term.
- Ask for other rights to your work.
- Try to keep an interest in your work beyond the life of the contract
- Try to make you purchase unsold copies before returning all rights to you.
- Allow the publisher to edit your work without consulting you.
- Base royalties on net income rather than gross income.
Contracts which feature terms of this type are best avoided.