Learn From the Street People
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Promotion Ideas and other Self Publishing topics.
What can I learn from the street people about sales?
Sell! Sell! Sell! When you want to get your book out there, you have to focus on the obvious—selling the thing! Book marketing is all about sales so become a sales person (at least for a while). When you are at an event (fair, book signing, promotion, etc.) remember these tips:
- Be proactive—if a potential reader tries to walk by, don't let them! Try to engage them in a conversation.
- Give the people something (food, sticker, bookmark, whatever). People love to get things for free!
- Make sure your book cover is in clear view—and displayed neatly and nicely.
- Look approachable—smile, for goodness sake! No one wants a book written by a grump!
* Don't wait for them to say they want the book—assume they already do. Once you've had a conversation about the book, close the deal. Instead of asking if they want the book, say something like “Who would you like me to make the autograph out to?” or “Would you like that gift wrapped?”