Paper Chase

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Book Binding. and other Self Publishing topics.

What paper sizes are used in Europe?

Paper Chase

The ISO standard is the most common paper size system used in Europe. The height to width ratio is equivalent to the square root of 2. This means that each size, when cut in half, makes two of the smaller size.
A0 measures one square meter. Common paper types in the A series are:

  • A3 (used for tabloid sized newspapers)
  • A4 (used for letters, and for printing journals and newsletters)
  • A5 (used for notepads and small books).
There are also B series and C series sizes that complement the A series. Printers also have access to the RA and SRA series which allow for trim and bleed when printing. This is useful to know if you are using a book binding company abroad.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Self Publishing Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Lynne Christen